HP assembly excuses jailed MLA from attending budget session
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh assembly today granted leave of absence to Ram Kumar Chaudhary, Congress MLA from Doon, lodged in jail in a murder case.
Deputy Speaker Jagat Singh Negi informed the assembly that a request has been received from Chaudhary to condone his absence during the ongoing budget session from February 3 to 21.
Later, the House, in the absence of the opposition BJP, granted his request.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had turned down his plea?to attend the assembly session on February 3.
Dismissing his plea, the court had observed, "It will be inappropriate to exercise the discretion under constitutional provisions to grant permission to an accused of a serious offence to attend the parliamentary session solely on the foundation that he enjoys exclusive privilege to participate in the proceedings of the House to meet the constitutional obligation."
The first-time legislator from Doon in Solan district had claimed that?he has an indefeasible right to attend the session.
He had argued that he was compelled to absent himself from four sessions.
Referring to constitutional provisions, Chaudhary said the House may?declare the seat vacant, on account of his absence for more than 60?days without permission.
Chaudhary, son of four-time Congress legislator Lajja Ram, is one of four suspects in the murder of a 24-year-old woman in Panchkula in Haryana on November 22, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Rains keep mercury near normal in several parts of country
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016 to be declared on May 28; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- UPA govt, LeT worked in tandem in Ishrat Jahan case: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- Dombivli factory blast: Death toll rises to 11, company management booked
- Kazakhstan accuses protesters of trying to oust government