HP Census: Population grows by 12.9 percent
Shimla: While the population of Himachal Pradesh increased by 12.9 percent from 2001 to 2011, the growth rate of population of children in the age group of 0-6 years declined marginally, according to data released on Wednesday by Joint Director, Census, RK Ram.
The state`s population increased from 60,77,900 in 2001 to 68,64,602 in 2011, the data said, with an increase in population by 786,702 in past one decade.
At present, 7,12,822 children are residing in rural areas, whereas only 65,076 are living in urban areas, the report said.
According to the report, Kangra, the largest district in the state, witnessed the highest increase of 21.2 percent in child population growth, followed by Mandi (14.4 percent) and Shimla (10.5 percent).
Una district also recorded the highest overall population growth of 16.3 percent, followed by Solan (15.9 percent) and Sirmaur (15.5).
The state has 25.2 percent of its population belonging to Scheduled Castes, while the Scheduled Tribes have a meagre population of just 5.7 percent.
The remote districts of Lahaul-Spiti and Kinnaur have no urban population, the report stated.
The number of un-inhabited villages in the state has increased by 185 in Himachal over the past one decade and risen from 2,623 villages in 2001 to 2,808 in 2011.
According to the 2011 census, population density (persons per square kilometres) has doubled from 62 in 1971 census to 123 in 2011.
Literacy rate of the state has also increased from 76.5 percent to 82.8 per cent and it was 81.9 percent in rural areas and 91.1 percent in urban areas, Ram added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!