HP CM`s son elected new state Youth Congress president
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh`s son Vikramaditya on Monday won the state youth Congress elections.
24-year-old Vikramaditya Singh polled 5,514 votes out of 11,000, becoming president of Himachal Youth Congress.
The CM`s son, whose election was declared null and void last time and was debarred from contesting the election for top Youth Congress office, has romped home with a landslide win, vindicating his position.
He beat his nearest rival Shekhar Sethi, who gained a mere 332 votes, by a huge margin of 5,182 votes.
There were 42 candidates in the fray.
"Since Vikramaditya got the maximum votes among all the candidates, he has been declared elected as the state IYC president," an election official of Congress said.
As all the 42 candidates have secured more than 40 votes (minimum requirement), all of them qualify to become office bearers of the state Youth Congress body, he said.
Elated over his victory, Vikramaditya said, "I have got this opportunity due to blessings of Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi. This is a victory of the youth."
Vikramaditya had won the highest number of votes in November 2011 Youth Congress polls also, but in January next year, the Foundation for Advanced Management of Elections (FAME) had declared his election as null and void as there were complaints of violation of the code of conduct.
The CM`s son had won that election by a huge margin, but was debarred by FAME from re-contesting the elections in 2012 and later Monika Bharti, wife of Chief Parliamentary Secretary Neeraj, was elected state IYC chief.
Party sources said Vikramaditya faced stiff opposition from majority Congress leaders last time when it was in opposition, but this time it was a one-sided affair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!