HP CM`s son elected new state Youth Congress president
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh`s son Vikramaditya on Monday won the state youth Congress elections.
24-year-old Vikramaditya Singh polled 5,514 votes out of 11,000, becoming president of Himachal Youth Congress.
The CM`s son, whose election was declared null and void last time and was debarred from contesting the election for top Youth Congress office, has romped home with a landslide win, vindicating his position.
He beat his nearest rival Shekhar Sethi, who gained a mere 332 votes, by a huge margin of 5,182 votes.
There were 42 candidates in the fray.
"Since Vikramaditya got the maximum votes among all the candidates, he has been declared elected as the state IYC president," an election official of Congress said.
As all the 42 candidates have secured more than 40 votes (minimum requirement), all of them qualify to become office bearers of the state Youth Congress body, he said.
Elated over his victory, Vikramaditya said, "I have got this opportunity due to blessings of Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi. This is a victory of the youth."
Vikramaditya had won the highest number of votes in November 2011 Youth Congress polls also, but in January next year, the Foundation for Advanced Management of Elections (FAME) had declared his election as null and void as there were complaints of violation of the code of conduct.
The CM`s son had won that election by a huge margin, but was debarred by FAME from re-contesting the elections in 2012 and later Monika Bharti, wife of Chief Parliamentary Secretary Neeraj, was elected state IYC chief.
Party sources said Vikramaditya faced stiff opposition from majority Congress leaders last time when it was in opposition, but this time it was a one-sided affair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city