HP Police defends making Karmapa an accused
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh police on Monday defended
making Tibetan religious leader Karmpa Ogyen Trinley Dorje as
an accused in the case pertaining to seizure of unaccounted
foreign and Indian currency from his monastery last year
alleging he had a role in it.
Director General of Police (DGP) DS Manhas told
reporters here that "during the course of investigation, the
police reached the conclusion that the Karmapa did have a role
in the currency row".
Karmapa’s name was included in the chargesheet as an
accused along with other nine accused named in the
chargesheet filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate
Rajesh Tomar in Una town last month in connection with
seizure of foreign and Indian currency worth about Rs.70
million ($1.5 million) from Gyuto Tantric Monastic University
on the outskirts of Dharamsala.
The Karmapa’s office denied any direct or indirect
involvement of the religious leader in financial
administration of the office.
Manhas said "since the Karmapa was heading the (Karmae
Garchen) Trust, all financial transactions being carried out
by the trust relating to land purchase were in his knowledge".
Clarifying on inclusion of his name in the list of
accused at a later stage, Manhas said "investigation is an
"During the probe, the police generally come to know
about the role of some others (against whom the case is not
registered initially). In this case too, his (Karmapa`s) role
was linked with the land deal and the case later", Manhas
Police had on January 28 last year recovered currencies
of 26 countries, including 120,197 Chinese yuan and around Rs.
5.3 million in Indian currency, from the monastery.
The recovery was made when police raided monastery after
the seizure of Rs. 1 crore from a car on Una border, allegedly
meant for purchase of land by Karmapa Trust for constructing a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you