Image makeover fails, HP police reverts to khaki
Shimla: Thirteen months after it switched over
to wearing blue uniform as part of an "image makeover"
initiative, the Himachal Pradesh Police board has unanimously
decided to revert back to traditional khaki.
"The decision to part ways with the blue attire and
revert back to the khaki uniform was taken in a State Police
Board meeting headed by Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal," an
official said here on Saturday.
However, he did not give the reason as to why the
decision was taken.
Blue uniform for the 16,000-strong police was approved by
the state government in June 2008 and the project was
implemented on January 3, 2011.
The decision was implemented for all ranks except the IPS
officers. The efforts of the state government to convince the
Centre to permit blue dress for IPS officers was rejected in
The state government had to incur huge expenditure to
provide new uniform which comprised dark blue trouser, light
blue shirt, blue socks, cap or turban. Accessories such as
shoes and belts remained black.
However, a section of the state police was not pleased
with the state government move as they opined that khaki was
their "true" identity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical