Immolation bid by Tibetan checked
Dharamsala: A Tibetan man was stopped from immolating himself on Sunday in this Himachal Pradesh town where the Dalai Lama has its government-in-exile, police said.
A police official said the attempt was made as hundreds of Tibetans gathered to mark the anniversary of a failed 1959 uprising against Chinese rule.
Dawa Dhondup, taking part in the procession through the streets of Dharamsala, consumed petrol but was overpowered by the others before he could kill himself, Superintendent of Police Balbir Thakur told a news agency.
The 30-year-old Dhondup, a roadside vendor in Dharamsala, was taken to hospital.
There have been 107 immolations for the cause of Tibetan freedom since 2009. Most of them have been reported inside Tibet.
In March last year, Tawu Jamphel immolated himself in New Delhi demanding freedom for Tibet. He was cremated here.
Jamphel, a member of the Tibetan Youth Congress, immolated to protest the visit of Chinese President Hu Jintao to India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble