Immolation bid by Tibetan checked
Dharamsala: A Tibetan man was stopped from immolating himself on Sunday in this Himachal Pradesh town where the Dalai Lama has its government-in-exile, police said.
A police official said the attempt was made as hundreds of Tibetans gathered to mark the anniversary of a failed 1959 uprising against Chinese rule.
Dawa Dhondup, taking part in the procession through the streets of Dharamsala, consumed petrol but was overpowered by the others before he could kill himself, Superintendent of Police Balbir Thakur told a news agency.
The 30-year-old Dhondup, a roadside vendor in Dharamsala, was taken to hospital.
There have been 107 immolations for the cause of Tibetan freedom since 2009. Most of them have been reported inside Tibet.
In March last year, Tawu Jamphel immolated himself in New Delhi demanding freedom for Tibet. He was cremated here.
Jamphel, a member of the Tibetan Youth Congress, immolated to protest the visit of Chinese President Hu Jintao to India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter