Immolation bid by Tibetan checked
Dharamsala: A Tibetan man was stopped from immolating himself on Sunday in this Himachal Pradesh town where the Dalai Lama has its government-in-exile, police said.
A police official said the attempt was made as hundreds of Tibetans gathered to mark the anniversary of a failed 1959 uprising against Chinese rule.
Dawa Dhondup, taking part in the procession through the streets of Dharamsala, consumed petrol but was overpowered by the others before he could kill himself, Superintendent of Police Balbir Thakur told a news agency.
The 30-year-old Dhondup, a roadside vendor in Dharamsala, was taken to hospital.
There have been 107 immolations for the cause of Tibetan freedom since 2009. Most of them have been reported inside Tibet.
In March last year, Tawu Jamphel immolated himself in New Delhi demanding freedom for Tibet. He was cremated here.
Jamphel, a member of the Tibetan Youth Congress, immolated to protest the visit of Chinese President Hu Jintao to India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Eurozone business activity strong despite Brexit: Survey
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic