Justice Ajay M Khanwilkar sworn in as CJ of HP HC
Shimla: Justice Ajay Manikrao Khanwilkar was Thursday sworn in as the new Chief Justice of the Himachal High Court here.
He was administered the oath of office and secrecy by state Governor Urmilla Singh in a ceremony at the Raj Bhawan.
Chief Minister V B Singh, Speaker B B L Butail, Leader of the Opposition P K Dhumal, cabinet ministers, Judges of High Court, senior bureaucrats, judicial officers and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.
Hailing from Pune in Maharashtra, Justice Khanwilkar was born on July 30, 1957. He was appointed Additional Judge of the Bombay High Court in 2000 and confirmed as permanent Judge in April 2002. He has been in legal profession for the last 31 years.
He did his graduation in Commerce from Mulund College of Commerce, Mumbai University, and obtained a degree in law from K C Law College, Mumbai University.
He was enrolled as an Advocate in 1982 and handled civil, criminal and Constitutional matters before the Subordinate Courts, Tribunals and High Court of Judicature at Bombay on the Appellate Side and started practising exclusively in the Supreme Court of India in 1984.
He was appointed as Standing Counsel for the State of Maharashtra for Supreme Court matters in October 1985 and also worked as Additional Government Advocate for the State of Maharashtra till December 1989.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi