Justice Ajay M Khanwilkar sworn in as CJ of HP HC
Shimla: Justice Ajay Manikrao Khanwilkar was Thursday sworn in as the new Chief Justice of the Himachal High Court here.
He was administered the oath of office and secrecy by state Governor Urmilla Singh in a ceremony at the Raj Bhawan.
Chief Minister V B Singh, Speaker B B L Butail, Leader of the Opposition P K Dhumal, cabinet ministers, Judges of High Court, senior bureaucrats, judicial officers and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.
Hailing from Pune in Maharashtra, Justice Khanwilkar was born on July 30, 1957. He was appointed Additional Judge of the Bombay High Court in 2000 and confirmed as permanent Judge in April 2002. He has been in legal profession for the last 31 years.
He did his graduation in Commerce from Mulund College of Commerce, Mumbai University, and obtained a degree in law from K C Law College, Mumbai University.
He was enrolled as an Advocate in 1982 and handled civil, criminal and Constitutional matters before the Subordinate Courts, Tribunals and High Court of Judicature at Bombay on the Appellate Side and started practising exclusively in the Supreme Court of India in 1984.
He was appointed as Standing Counsel for the State of Maharashtra for Supreme Court matters in October 1985 and also worked as Additional Government Advocate for the State of Maharashtra till December 1989.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid