Karcham project: HC stays digging, blasting activities
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Monday stayed any excavation, digging and blasting activity pertaining to 450-MW capacity Shanghton Karcham Hydro-electric project at Reckong peo in tribal Kinnaur district.
A Division Bench comprising acting Chief Justice RB Misra and Justice VK Sharma passed the orders on petitions of the Central government and the Western Command authorities.
The Centre has alleged in its petition that the HP Power Corporation Limited went ahead with the tendering process and allotted the project to a company which commenced work despite several objections raised by the Army.
The petitioners submitted the project is in vicinity of the Ammunition Point of 36 Sector Ordnance Maintenance Platoon and blasting being carried out to construct a road next to the Point could seriously undermine the safety of the ammunition.
The petitioners also contended that a notification was issued in 2005 restricting construction activities in some 1200 yards area around the Ammunication Point.
The Bench directed only such activities could be undertaken which might not directly or indirectly affect the security measures.
The court listed the matter for further hearing on April 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments
- Unsure if monetary policy panel to set rates in August: Raghuram Rajan
- German Bakery blast: Maha Govt. challenges Bombay HC order in SC
- Chinese woman gives birth to a baby girl from embryo frozen 18 years ago
- Spirituality helps you transform into a better human – Here’s how