Lakes, streams freeze as Himachal reels under cold wave
Shimla: Most parts of Himachal, including the foothill areas reeled under biting cold wave as mercury hovered around freezing point at several places.
Manali and Bhuntar recorded a low of zero degrees Celsius while minimum temperature dropped to 1.2 degrees Celsius and 1.7 degrees Celsius at Solan and Sundernagar, 2.5 at Chamba, 4.4 at Una, 5.7 at Shimla and Nahan and 7.2 at Palampur and Dharamsala.
Keylong and Kalpa in tribal districts of Lahaul and Spiti and Kinnaur recorded minimum temperatures of minus 5.6 degrees Celsius and minus 3.6 degrees Celsius while high altitude tribal areas shivered as mercury stayed between minus 10 and 15 degrees Celsius.
All lakes, springs, rivulets and tributaries of Sutlej, Beas and Ravi rivers were frozen, reducing the discharge of water and badly affecting the power generation in all major hydropower projects.
Sundernagar recorded maximum temperature at 20.9 degrees Celsius while Bhunter and Solan recorded a high of 20.4, followed by Shimla 18.3, Dharamshala 17.8, Nahan 17.2 and Kalpa 14.4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!