Lakes, streams freeze as Himachal reels under cold wave
Shimla: Most parts of Himachal, including the foothill areas reeled under biting cold wave as mercury hovered around freezing point at several places.
Manali and Bhuntar recorded a low of zero degrees Celsius while minimum temperature dropped to 1.2 degrees Celsius and 1.7 degrees Celsius at Solan and Sundernagar, 2.5 at Chamba, 4.4 at Una, 5.7 at Shimla and Nahan and 7.2 at Palampur and Dharamsala.
Keylong and Kalpa in tribal districts of Lahaul and Spiti and Kinnaur recorded minimum temperatures of minus 5.6 degrees Celsius and minus 3.6 degrees Celsius while high altitude tribal areas shivered as mercury stayed between minus 10 and 15 degrees Celsius.
All lakes, springs, rivulets and tributaries of Sutlej, Beas and Ravi rivers were frozen, reducing the discharge of water and badly affecting the power generation in all major hydropower projects.
Sundernagar recorded maximum temperature at 20.9 degrees Celsius while Bhunter and Solan recorded a high of 20.4, followed by Shimla 18.3, Dharamshala 17.8, Nahan 17.2 and Kalpa 14.4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?