Lakes, streams freeze as Himachal reels under cold wave
Shimla: Most parts of Himachal, including the foothill areas reeled under biting cold wave as mercury hovered around freezing point at several places.
Manali and Bhuntar recorded a low of zero degrees Celsius while minimum temperature dropped to 1.2 degrees Celsius and 1.7 degrees Celsius at Solan and Sundernagar, 2.5 at Chamba, 4.4 at Una, 5.7 at Shimla and Nahan and 7.2 at Palampur and Dharamsala.
Keylong and Kalpa in tribal districts of Lahaul and Spiti and Kinnaur recorded minimum temperatures of minus 5.6 degrees Celsius and minus 3.6 degrees Celsius while high altitude tribal areas shivered as mercury stayed between minus 10 and 15 degrees Celsius.
All lakes, springs, rivulets and tributaries of Sutlej, Beas and Ravi rivers were frozen, reducing the discharge of water and badly affecting the power generation in all major hydropower projects.
Sundernagar recorded maximum temperature at 20.9 degrees Celsius while Bhunter and Solan recorded a high of 20.4, followed by Shimla 18.3, Dharamshala 17.8, Nahan 17.2 and Kalpa 14.4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!