Lakes, streams freeze as Himachal reels under cold wave
Shimla: Most parts of Himachal, including the foothill areas reeled under biting cold wave as mercury hovered around freezing point at several places.
Manali and Bhuntar recorded a low of zero degrees Celsius while minimum temperature dropped to 1.2 degrees Celsius and 1.7 degrees Celsius at Solan and Sundernagar, 2.5 at Chamba, 4.4 at Una, 5.7 at Shimla and Nahan and 7.2 at Palampur and Dharamsala.
Keylong and Kalpa in tribal districts of Lahaul and Spiti and Kinnaur recorded minimum temperatures of minus 5.6 degrees Celsius and minus 3.6 degrees Celsius while high altitude tribal areas shivered as mercury stayed between minus 10 and 15 degrees Celsius.
All lakes, springs, rivulets and tributaries of Sutlej, Beas and Ravi rivers were frozen, reducing the discharge of water and badly affecting the power generation in all major hydropower projects.
Sundernagar recorded maximum temperature at 20.9 degrees Celsius while Bhunter and Solan recorded a high of 20.4, followed by Shimla 18.3, Dharamshala 17.8, Nahan 17.2 and Kalpa 14.4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg