Lakes, streams freeze as Himachal reels under cold wave
Shimla: Most parts of Himachal, including the foothill areas reeled under biting cold wave as mercury hovered around freezing point at several places.
Manali and Bhuntar recorded a low of zero degrees Celsius while minimum temperature dropped to 1.2 degrees Celsius and 1.7 degrees Celsius at Solan and Sundernagar, 2.5 at Chamba, 4.4 at Una, 5.7 at Shimla and Nahan and 7.2 at Palampur and Dharamsala.
Keylong and Kalpa in tribal districts of Lahaul and Spiti and Kinnaur recorded minimum temperatures of minus 5.6 degrees Celsius and minus 3.6 degrees Celsius while high altitude tribal areas shivered as mercury stayed between minus 10 and 15 degrees Celsius.
All lakes, springs, rivulets and tributaries of Sutlej, Beas and Ravi rivers were frozen, reducing the discharge of water and badly affecting the power generation in all major hydropower projects.
Sundernagar recorded maximum temperature at 20.9 degrees Celsius while Bhunter and Solan recorded a high of 20.4, followed by Shimla 18.3, Dharamshala 17.8, Nahan 17.2 and Kalpa 14.4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand