Lokayukta Bill introduced in HP Assembly
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh Lokayukta
Bill, 2012, which had come in for a sharp attack from Team Anna, was introduced in the Assembly on Wednesday, providing for an
anti-corruption ombudsman and bringing in its purview the
Chief Minister and other public servants.
As per the Bill introduced by Chief Minister Prem Kumar
Dhumal, the Lokayukta would be a retired Supreme Court Judge
or Chief justice of a High Court. A provision for appointment
of two Uplokyukts has also been made.
The Lokayukt Bill also seeks to repeal the existing
Lokayukt Act of 1983.
The power to initiate inquiry against Chief Minister,
ministers, chief parliamentary secretaries, MLAs and officers
of the rank of Secretary and above and heads of the Department
would vest in Lokayukta but no action would be initiated
without the permission of full bench of Lokayukta, according
to the Bill.
Further, the inquiry, investigations and prosecution
shall continue in case the complainant dies and no complaint
shall be allowed to be withdrawn unless the Lokayukta is fully
satisfied that the complainant had made a bonafide mistake.
However, the prosecution sanction in case of Ministers
and MLAs would be accorded by the state assembly while in case
of judicial officers, the High Court would be the competent
authority to grant sanction.
A provision to keep the identity of whistle blowers
secret and providing them security has also been made while in
case of frivolous complaints a fine up to Rs 10 lakh and
imprisonment of one year has also been made in the Bill.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!