Lokayukta Bill introduced in HP Assembly
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh Lokayukta
Bill, 2012, which had come in for a sharp attack from Team Anna, was introduced in the Assembly on Wednesday, providing for an
anti-corruption ombudsman and bringing in its purview the
Chief Minister and other public servants.
As per the Bill introduced by Chief Minister Prem Kumar
Dhumal, the Lokayukta would be a retired Supreme Court Judge
or Chief justice of a High Court. A provision for appointment
of two Uplokyukts has also been made.
The Lokayukt Bill also seeks to repeal the existing
Lokayukt Act of 1983.
The power to initiate inquiry against Chief Minister,
ministers, chief parliamentary secretaries, MLAs and officers
of the rank of Secretary and above and heads of the Department
would vest in Lokayukta but no action would be initiated
without the permission of full bench of Lokayukta, according
to the Bill.
Further, the inquiry, investigations and prosecution
shall continue in case the complainant dies and no complaint
shall be allowed to be withdrawn unless the Lokayukta is fully
satisfied that the complainant had made a bonafide mistake.
However, the prosecution sanction in case of Ministers
and MLAs would be accorded by the state assembly while in case
of judicial officers, the High Court would be the competent
authority to grant sanction.
A provision to keep the identity of whistle blowers
secret and providing them security has also been made while in
case of frivolous complaints a fine up to Rs 10 lakh and
imprisonment of one year has also been made in the Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre