Lokayukta Bill introduced in HP Assembly
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh Lokayukta
Bill, 2012, which had come in for a sharp attack from Team Anna, was introduced in the Assembly on Wednesday, providing for an
anti-corruption ombudsman and bringing in its purview the
Chief Minister and other public servants.
As per the Bill introduced by Chief Minister Prem Kumar
Dhumal, the Lokayukta would be a retired Supreme Court Judge
or Chief justice of a High Court. A provision for appointment
of two Uplokyukts has also been made.
The Lokayukt Bill also seeks to repeal the existing
Lokayukt Act of 1983.
The power to initiate inquiry against Chief Minister,
ministers, chief parliamentary secretaries, MLAs and officers
of the rank of Secretary and above and heads of the Department
would vest in Lokayukta but no action would be initiated
without the permission of full bench of Lokayukta, according
to the Bill.
Further, the inquiry, investigations and prosecution
shall continue in case the complainant dies and no complaint
shall be allowed to be withdrawn unless the Lokayukta is fully
satisfied that the complainant had made a bonafide mistake.
However, the prosecution sanction in case of Ministers
and MLAs would be accorded by the state assembly while in case
of judicial officers, the High Court would be the competent
authority to grant sanction.
A provision to keep the identity of whistle blowers
secret and providing them security has also been made while in
case of frivolous complaints a fine up to Rs 10 lakh and
imprisonment of one year has also been made in the Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read