Manali-Leh highway opened for traffic
Manali: After seven months of snow clearing, Border Roads Organization (BRO) on Sunday opened Manali-Leh National Highway, considered one of the highest highways of the world.
"Manali-Leh national highway was cleared of snow and opened for traffic this evening," Commander BRO 70 RCC told PTI.
The road was closed for seven months as the area was snowbound and BRO men worked tirelessly for three months in freezing cold conditions to open the road, commandant BRO said.
Inspite of more than 200 avalanches and continuous snowfall in March and April, over hundred officers and labourers had successfully restored the road connectivity to Leh.
The officer said,"in 2-3 days the civil administration will check the road and allow vehicular traffic on it."
The average elevation of Leh-Manali highway is over 4,000?metre (13,000?feet)?and its highest elevation is 5,328?metre (17,480?ft) at Tanglang La mountain pass.
It is flanked by mountain ranges on both sides featuring some stunning sand and rock natural formations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites