Manali Winter Carnival kicks off to a grand start
Shimla: The National Winter Carnival got off to a colourful start at the key tourist resort of Manali, presenting a fascinating look under the thick carpet of white snow.
Hundreds of people braving the intense cold turned up at the venue -- `Manu Kala Kendra` -- to see the carnival get inaugurated by Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh.
Addressing the gathering, Singh described the state`s diverse culture and rich heritage as its main strength and said efforts need to be taken to preserve it.
Referring to Jawaharlal Nehru`s special love of for Manali, Singh said the India`s first Prime Minister made frequent visits to Manali and loved the people of the state.
The Chief Minister also highlighted the efforts being taken by the state government to strengthen tourism infrastructure and to turn the state into a developed one in the next five years.
"Since its inception, Himachal has made tremendous efforts in various fields, but to give further impetus to development, the government would accord highest priority to education, road, power and industry and its endeavour would be to make the state self-reliant," Singh said.
Welcoming the Chief Minister, local MLA and Chief Patron of the carnival, Govind Thakur, said the state has widely benefited from decades of Virbhadra Singh`s governance.
He urged the Chief Minister to implement the vision document prepared by Delhi School of Planning and Architect for development of Manali town and also to sanction Institute of Hotel Management for Manali.
Later speaking at a function here, Singh said the state government has taken up the issue of reviving of air services to Kullu-Manali with the Prime Minister and Union Civil Aviation and Tourism Minister.
Describing Manali as one of the most beautiful and famous tourist destination, Singh said it was the duty of locals, hoteliers and tourists to maintain ecological balance of the region.
The government would provide all possible help to make Manali a tourist paradise by providing best services, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'