Mandi by-poll: Majority of Shalkhar residents boycott repolling
Shimla: A majority of the voters of the Shalkhar polling station in Kinnaur assembly segment on Saturday boycotted the re-polling for the Mandi Lok Sabha by-election.
The voters had boycotted the poll on June 27 and polling was stopped as tension brewed are re-poll was fixed for today.
However, only 23 of the 313 voters cast their votes, as majority of them were annoyed alleging of being ignored during the rescue operations in the rain ravaged district.
The locals claimed that no arrangement was made to airlift them and they remained stranded in the village for 12 days.
Meanwhile, the Election Commission has permitted voting at eight more places of Kinnuar constituency as EVMs could not be brought to Reckong Peo due to blocked roads and bad weather conditions.
Meanwhile, 5,82,081 voters out of 11,13,983 voters in Mandi Parliamentary constituency exercise their franchise, recording moderate polling of 52.25 per cent.
The counting of votes would start at 8.00 am tomorrow and the result is expected by noon.
Pratibha Singh, wife of Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh is pitted against former BJP minister Jai Ram Thakur in a five cornered contest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened