Mandi IIT to get over Rs 800 cr: Pallam Raju
Shimla: The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at Mandi would be developed as a major centre for learning, research and innovation in the region and over Rs 800 crore would be spent on it in the coming year, Union Human Resource Development Minister M M Pallam Raju said on Saturday.
Inaugurating a new block of IIT-Mandi, the Union Minister said that there would be no compromise with the quality of infrastructure and the central government would provide adequate funding.
"IIT Mandi has made great strides and with inauguration of the new campus. It has attained the distinction of being the first among the new IITs to have full residential and academic facility in the campus. This IIT in Himachal is a turning point and expected to give Himalayan region a world renowned centre for learning, research and innovation," he said.
Speaking on the occasion, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh said that the decisions to open IIT at Mandi and Central University in Kangra district were taken by the Congress Government.
The Chief Minister said that IIT, Mandi was becoming synonymous with best higher education and it would soon be among the excellent technical learing institutions of the country.
The Chief Minister thanked the Centre for liberal financial assistance to establish various high education institutions in the state.
A central University was also coming up in Kangra district and the Centre had also sanctioned Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) for the state which would be soon established in Una, he added.
The Chief Minister announced Rs 10 crore for widening and improvement of Mandi-Kamand road along with upgradation of High school, Nisu in Kamand to Government Senior Secondary School and Primary Health Centre Kotla to Community Health Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency