Mandi IIT to get over Rs 800 cr: Pallam Raju
Shimla: The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at Mandi would be developed as a major centre for learning, research and innovation in the region and over Rs 800 crore would be spent on it in the coming year, Union Human Resource Development Minister M M Pallam Raju said on Saturday.
Inaugurating a new block of IIT-Mandi, the Union Minister said that there would be no compromise with the quality of infrastructure and the central government would provide adequate funding.
"IIT Mandi has made great strides and with inauguration of the new campus. It has attained the distinction of being the first among the new IITs to have full residential and academic facility in the campus. This IIT in Himachal is a turning point and expected to give Himalayan region a world renowned centre for learning, research and innovation," he said.
Speaking on the occasion, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh said that the decisions to open IIT at Mandi and Central University in Kangra district were taken by the Congress Government.
The Chief Minister said that IIT, Mandi was becoming synonymous with best higher education and it would soon be among the excellent technical learing institutions of the country.
The Chief Minister thanked the Centre for liberal financial assistance to establish various high education institutions in the state.
A central University was also coming up in Kangra district and the Centre had also sanctioned Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) for the state which would be soon established in Una, he added.
The Chief Minister announced Rs 10 crore for widening and improvement of Mandi-Kamand road along with upgradation of High school, Nisu in Kamand to Government Senior Secondary School and Primary Health Centre Kotla to Community Health Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog