Mansarovar yatra route option cheers Himachal
Shimla: An assurance by Chinese President Xi Jinping to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday over the possibility of an additional route for the Kailash-Mansarovar pilgrimage in China through Himachal Pradesh has cheered the state`s hospitality industry.
The option of routing the annual pilgrimage through another route, most probably from this hill state, would boost the tourism industry.
Ahead of the BRICS summit, the two leaders met at Fortaleza in Brazil where Modi also raised the possibility of additional route for the Mansarovar yatra as the present one from Uttarakhand is a difficult one.
Xi gave an assurance that China will consider the request for the additional route.
Bharatiya Janata Party leader and former two-time chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal has taken up the matter with the central government a number of times to consider the option of routing the Mansarovar pilgrimage through Himachal as it is more convenient, safer and shorter than through Uttarakhand.
Official sources said from Shipkila, the last Indian village in Kinnaur district, the holy lake of Mansarovar is just 91 km, which can be mostly covered by road. Only a short distance is left for trekking.
The journey between New Delhi and Shipkila is of three days, with two night halts at Shimla and Rekong Peo towns.
"With the routing of Mansarovar pilgrimage through this state, our youths will get benefit by getting employment avenues. It will even generate self-employment options," Dhumal told IANS.
Every year, thousands of pilgrims visit Kailash-Mansarovar from June to September. This is one of the toughest pilgrimages among Hindus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof