Massive voter turnout in Phase I of HP panchayat polls
Shimla: Polling for the first phase of
panchayat election in Himachal Pradesh was held peacefully
today with enormous voter turnout in many places.
Barring a few incidents of bogus polling, no untoward
incident was reported from any part of the state.
Polling was held in 1,091 panchayats in the state and
Mandi district registered the maximum voter turnout of 97 per
The lowest voter turnout of 60 per cent was recorded in
Kinnaur district while Shimla, Kangra, Kullu, Hamirpur and Una
recorded 75 to 80 per cent turnouts.
While Sirmaur recorded 86 per cent voter turnout, Solan,
Bilaspur and some other districts recorded 75 to 80 per cent
About 11 lakh out of 15 lakh voters cast their votes
Fifty per cent seats had been reserved for women and
presidents and vice presidents of panchayats would be elected
through direct vote.
The counting of votes was taken up immediately after the
polling was over and was still in progress.
The elections are not being fought on party symbols but
major political parties are backing the candidates.
The voting for second and third phase would be held in
1,072 and 1,032 panchayats on December 30 and January 1
respectively and counting of votes for Block Samiti and Zila
Parishad polls would be taken up on January 3 and 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried