Mercury dips with snow in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: The temperatures across Himachal Pradesh on Thursday plummeted sharply, with high-altitude areas getting mild spells of snow while other parts are experiencing rains.
"High hills in Kullu, Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti and Chamba districts have been experiencing light snowfall since Thursday morning," said a weather department official.
Shimla and its nearby areas like Kufri and Narkanda have been experiencing moderate rains. So has been the picturesque tourist resort Manali, which saw the temperature sliding to a low of 4.2 degrees Celsius.
The Rohtang Pass, just 52 km from Manali, has snowfall.
The minimum temperature in the state capital plunged by four degrees. It recorded 7.6 degrees Celsius Thursday, whereas the low on Wednesday was 11.5 degrees.
Kalpa, 250 km from Shimla, and Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district recorded the night temperature at 1.6 degrees and 2.8 degrees Celsius, respectively.
The Met Office has forecast snow and rain across the state due to active western disturbance till Friday. Western disturbance is a term used for a storm system that generates in the Mediterranean and brings rain or snow in the northwerstern parts of the Indian subcontinent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan