Mercury dips with snow in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: The temperatures across Himachal Pradesh on Thursday plummeted sharply, with high-altitude areas getting mild spells of snow while other parts are experiencing rains.
"High hills in Kullu, Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti and Chamba districts have been experiencing light snowfall since Thursday morning," said a weather department official.
Shimla and its nearby areas like Kufri and Narkanda have been experiencing moderate rains. So has been the picturesque tourist resort Manali, which saw the temperature sliding to a low of 4.2 degrees Celsius.
The Rohtang Pass, just 52 km from Manali, has snowfall.
The minimum temperature in the state capital plunged by four degrees. It recorded 7.6 degrees Celsius Thursday, whereas the low on Wednesday was 11.5 degrees.
Kalpa, 250 km from Shimla, and Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district recorded the night temperature at 1.6 degrees and 2.8 degrees Celsius, respectively.
The Met Office has forecast snow and rain across the state due to active western disturbance till Friday. Western disturbance is a term used for a storm system that generates in the Mediterranean and brings rain or snow in the northwerstern parts of the Indian subcontinent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened