Mercury rises in HP even as region had mild snow and rains
Shimla: The minimum and maximum temperatures rose by few notches across Himachal Pradesh even as the higher reaches and tribal areas had another spell of mild snow while the lower hills in the state receiving light showers.
The sprawling Dhauladhar ranges in Kangra, Churdhar ranges in Sirmaur, mighty Rohtang Pass (13,050 ft) and other high altitude areas in the state had mild snowfall, accompanied by strong velocity icy winds while mid and lower hills, including the state capital Shimla had light rains.
The entire tribal belt comprising Keylong and Udaipur in Lahaul and Spiti, Kaza in Kinnaur and Pangi and Bharmaur in Chamba districts also received intermittent snowfall.
Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti and Rohtang Pass recorded 5 cm and 10 cm of fresh snow while Dharamsala had 3 mm of rains.
Keylong was coldest in the region with minimum temperature at minus 7.1 degree Celsius while night temperature improved to stay at minus 0.6 degree C.
The sky remained heavily overcast but minimum temperature increased by four degrees to stay at 8.4 degree C at Shimla, 6.4 degree C above normal while Dharamsala, Una and Solan recorded a low of 9.4 degree, 7.0 degree and 6.0 degree C respectively.
Manali and Mandi shivered under biting cold wave conditions with minimum temperatures at 1.0 degree and 1.6 degree while Palampur, Bhuntar, Sundernagar and Nahan recorded a low of 3.0 degree, 3.7 degree, 4.3 degree and 5.3 degree Celsius respectively, two to three degree below normal.
The maximum day temperatures also increased by three to four degrees and Una and Sundernagar recorded maximum temperatures at 23.2 and 23.0 degree C respectively.
Western Disturbance (WD) as an upper air system was lying over north Pakistan and adjoining areas and a fresh WD would affect the western Himalayan region from January 15 onwards, local MeT office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof