Mining mafia enjoys political patronage: Virbhadra
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Friday said mining mafia was enjoying political patronage in the state and assured the Assembly that government would take stern action to check illegal mining.
Replying to a question by BJP`s Satpal Singh Satti, he said the state government was mulling to bring a legislation to check illegal mining, which would have provisions like confiscation of the vehicle carrying illegally mined produce and cancellation of driving licence of the driver.
The Chief Minister`s remarks come two weeks after an attempt was made on the life of Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Baddi, Yunus Khan, a batch mate of suspended Durga Shakti Nagpal of Uttar Pradesh, who took on a mining mafia in the state.
Singh said mining was banned in Punjab but illegal mining was going on unabated on a large scale in areas (of Himachal Pradesh) bordering Punjab.
Satti said since mining was banned in Punjab, illegal mining of sand and gravel had increased in HP and the price of sand had gone up by four times in recent days.
The Chief Minister said a new policy approved by the Cabinet provided for allowing locals to extract sand and gravel for bonafide use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam