Missing students: Himachal sets up helpline
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Monday set up a helpline after 24 students were washed away in Beas river, an official said.
The round-the-clock helpline (01905-223374) has been commenced at the superintendent of police`s office in Mandi town, a government spokesperson told IANS.
Five bodies of students have so far been found while the fate of 19 others who were washed away Sunday in the Beas river that saw a flash-flood after the release of water from a hydropower project is still not known, an official said.
At least 24 students, including six girls, of the V.N.R. Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology in Hyderabad, were reported missing after strong currents in the mighty Beas river washed them away.
The chances of survival of the students were bleak, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!