Missing students: Himachal sets up helpline
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Monday set up a helpline after 24 students were washed away in Beas river, an official said.
The round-the-clock helpline (01905-223374) has been commenced at the superintendent of police`s office in Mandi town, a government spokesperson told IANS.
Five bodies of students have so far been found while the fate of 19 others who were washed away Sunday in the Beas river that saw a flash-flood after the release of water from a hydropower project is still not known, an official said.
At least 24 students, including six girls, of the V.N.R. Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology in Hyderabad, were reported missing after strong currents in the mighty Beas river washed them away.
The chances of survival of the students were bleak, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?