Monsoon arrives in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: The southwest monsoon has reached Himachal Pradesh and the weather bureau here says it is well in time.
"The monsoon hit various areas of the state on Friday and is advancing in other parts," Manmohan Singh, director of the meteorological office, told a news agency on Saturday.
Last year, though delayed, the monsoon in the state was bountiful. It reached the state July 5 and brought 16 percent more rains than the normal, compared to a 36 percent deficit in 2009.
The Met Office statement said the monsoon has advanced in Sirmaur, Shimla, Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu, Mandi and parts of Chamba districts.
"Conditions are favourable for further advance of monsoon in other parts of the state," it added.
As per the records of the Met Office, in the past 31 years, the monsoon arrived in the state 24 times in June, which is normal.
"Seven times, including last year, the monsoon arrived late (in July)," Manmohan Singh added.
The arrival of monsoon has brought good cheer to the millions of farmers as over 80 percent of the farm area in the state is rain-fed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals
- Online application process for NEET II from today. Check www.aipmt.nic.in