More water released from Bhakra Dam
Chandigarh: More water was released from the Bhakra Dam into the Satluj river on Sunday as its spillways were opened to maintain the water level in the reservoir.
The water level in the Gobind Sagar reservoir of dam touched the 1,680 feet maximum storage mark on Saturday. It was increasing by half to one foot every day.
"Today, we have released around 12,000 cusecs water. Current inflow is over 40,000 cusecs. We will continue to release excess water to maintain the level of 1,680 feet till September 10," Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) joint director VP Sharma said.
"There is no need to create panic. We are in constant touch with member states. Even when the water level crosses the 1,680 feet mark, we can still hold on to an additional 10 feet (till 1,690 feet)," he said.
The Bhakra Dam is located in Himachal Pradesh, along the Punjab-Himachal Pradesh border, about 130 km from Chandigarh.
Earlier, the BBMB released excess water into the Satluj by opening its spillways from August 21 to 27. Release of water in the Satluj posed flood threat to the low-lying areas of Ropar district and the Sikh holy towns of Anandpur Sahib and Kiratpur Sahib.
However, the Ropar administration said there was no threat of floods and that they were ready to handle any emergency.
Ropar deputy commissioner AS Miglani said: "So far there is no threat of floods in Ropar. The Satluj has an immense capacity to withhold excess water. But still our officials are monitoring the state of affairs and we are ready to tackle any kind of emergency."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore