Motor accident pleas shall be decided speedily: Himachal HC
Manali: Himachal Pradesh High Court Chief Justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir on Saturday said motor accident claim petitions should be decided expeditiously and the minimum compensation would be awarded on the first date of hearing.
Addressing district and additional district judges at a workshop organised by the Himachal Pradesh Judicial Academy here, he emphasized upon the need to observe the provisions of Motor Vehicle Act as these are meant to ameliorate distress of the hapless dependants of victims.
Exhorting the administration, police and judiciary to comply with the provision of Section 158 (6) of the Motor Vehicle Act by treating the First Information Report (FIR) as a claim petition to provide immediate help to the victims, he told the judges to decide the pleas expeditiously.
Mansoor Ahmad Mir asked the judges to provide the minimum compensation under Section 140 of the act to the victims and their families on the first date of hearing.
Justice Rajiv Sharma traced history of the law related to the payment of such compensation in accident cases. He said there is a need to discuss the principles related to the payment in motor accidents so that such cases are disposed off quickly.
Around 35 judicial officials attended the workshop, which was organised to enhance the skills and knowledge of the officers and to apprise them about the various provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside