Motor accident pleas shall be decided speedily: Himachal HC
Manali: Himachal Pradesh High Court Chief Justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir on Saturday said motor accident claim petitions should be decided expeditiously and the minimum compensation would be awarded on the first date of hearing.
Addressing district and additional district judges at a workshop organised by the Himachal Pradesh Judicial Academy here, he emphasized upon the need to observe the provisions of Motor Vehicle Act as these are meant to ameliorate distress of the hapless dependants of victims.
Exhorting the administration, police and judiciary to comply with the provision of Section 158 (6) of the Motor Vehicle Act by treating the First Information Report (FIR) as a claim petition to provide immediate help to the victims, he told the judges to decide the pleas expeditiously.
Mansoor Ahmad Mir asked the judges to provide the minimum compensation under Section 140 of the act to the victims and their families on the first date of hearing.
Justice Rajiv Sharma traced history of the law related to the payment of such compensation in accident cases. He said there is a need to discuss the principles related to the payment in motor accidents so that such cases are disposed off quickly.
Around 35 judicial officials attended the workshop, which was organised to enhance the skills and knowledge of the officers and to apprise them about the various provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Google honours legendary singer Mukesh with a doodle on 93rd birth anniversary
- Start Brexit negotiations as soon as possible: Hollande urges Britain
- 'Months before her assassination, pro-Khalistan leader had predicted Indira Gandhi's killing'
- ‘Kabali’ mania grips nation: Here’s why Rajinikanth is the one and only Thalaiva
- 1st Test, Day 1: Virat Kohli's brilliant ton puts India on top against West Indies