Motor accident pleas shall be decided speedily: Himachal HC
Manali: Himachal Pradesh High Court Chief Justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir on Saturday said motor accident claim petitions should be decided expeditiously and the minimum compensation would be awarded on the first date of hearing.
Addressing district and additional district judges at a workshop organised by the Himachal Pradesh Judicial Academy here, he emphasized upon the need to observe the provisions of Motor Vehicle Act as these are meant to ameliorate distress of the hapless dependants of victims.
Exhorting the administration, police and judiciary to comply with the provision of Section 158 (6) of the Motor Vehicle Act by treating the First Information Report (FIR) as a claim petition to provide immediate help to the victims, he told the judges to decide the pleas expeditiously.
Mansoor Ahmad Mir asked the judges to provide the minimum compensation under Section 140 of the act to the victims and their families on the first date of hearing.
Justice Rajiv Sharma traced history of the law related to the payment of such compensation in accident cases. He said there is a need to discuss the principles related to the payment in motor accidents so that such cases are disposed off quickly.
Around 35 judicial officials attended the workshop, which was organised to enhance the skills and knowledge of the officers and to apprise them about the various provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand