MP protests Himachal`s Lokayukta act
Shimla: A suspended BJP MP in Himachal Pradesh fasted on Thursday near the statue of Mahatma Gandhi here to protest the `draconian` provisions of the state`s proposed Lokayukta Act.
Rajan Sushant, Lok Sabha member from Kangra, said that the proposed legislation was aimed at creating "fear psychosis in the minds of the complainants as it is prescribing punishment of one year if the complaint is found to be frivolous”.
"It`s very weak and ineffective as most of the powers (to act against corruption) have been kept by the government with itself," he said.
"It aims to provide illegitimate protection to corrupt people rather than to punish them."
The MP, who wants an effective Lokayukta system by giving more powers to the ombudsman, also questioned the "inability" of the state Bharatiya Janata Party to follow its own governments in Karnataka and Uttarakhand.
"If Karnataka and Uttarakhand can give more teeth to Lokayukta, why not this state?”
"This means the state BJP disowns its own party models in Uttarakhand and Karnataka," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- PM Modi, Shah to address CMs of BJP-ruled states on Saturday
- AAP removes Punjab chief for alleged corruption
- Clinton says emails, foundation ties not a threat to her White House bid
- From Olympic glory to jail: Oscar Pistorius' bid to challenge six-year jail term fails
- Piers Morgan TWEETS AGAIN: UK journalist takes credit for PM Modi setting up task force for next three Olympics