MP protests Himachal`s Lokayukta act
Shimla: A suspended BJP MP in Himachal Pradesh fasted on Thursday near the statue of Mahatma Gandhi here to protest the `draconian` provisions of the state`s proposed Lokayukta Act.
Rajan Sushant, Lok Sabha member from Kangra, said that the proposed legislation was aimed at creating "fear psychosis in the minds of the complainants as it is prescribing punishment of one year if the complaint is found to be frivolous”.
"It`s very weak and ineffective as most of the powers (to act against corruption) have been kept by the government with itself," he said.
"It aims to provide illegitimate protection to corrupt people rather than to punish them."
The MP, who wants an effective Lokayukta system by giving more powers to the ombudsman, also questioned the "inability" of the state Bharatiya Janata Party to follow its own governments in Karnataka and Uttarakhand.
"If Karnataka and Uttarakhand can give more teeth to Lokayukta, why not this state?”
"This means the state BJP disowns its own party models in Uttarakhand and Karnataka," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!