MP protests Himachal`s Lokayukta act
Shimla: A suspended BJP MP in Himachal Pradesh fasted on Thursday near the statue of Mahatma Gandhi here to protest the `draconian` provisions of the state`s proposed Lokayukta Act.
Rajan Sushant, Lok Sabha member from Kangra, said that the proposed legislation was aimed at creating "fear psychosis in the minds of the complainants as it is prescribing punishment of one year if the complaint is found to be frivolous”.
"It`s very weak and ineffective as most of the powers (to act against corruption) have been kept by the government with itself," he said.
"It aims to provide illegitimate protection to corrupt people rather than to punish them."
The MP, who wants an effective Lokayukta system by giving more powers to the ombudsman, also questioned the "inability" of the state Bharatiya Janata Party to follow its own governments in Karnataka and Uttarakhand.
"If Karnataka and Uttarakhand can give more teeth to Lokayukta, why not this state?”
"This means the state BJP disowns its own party models in Uttarakhand and Karnataka," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!