MP protests Himachal`s Lokayukta act
Shimla: A suspended BJP MP in Himachal Pradesh fasted on Thursday near the statue of Mahatma Gandhi here to protest the `draconian` provisions of the state`s proposed Lokayukta Act.
Rajan Sushant, Lok Sabha member from Kangra, said that the proposed legislation was aimed at creating "fear psychosis in the minds of the complainants as it is prescribing punishment of one year if the complaint is found to be frivolous”.
"It`s very weak and ineffective as most of the powers (to act against corruption) have been kept by the government with itself," he said.
"It aims to provide illegitimate protection to corrupt people rather than to punish them."
The MP, who wants an effective Lokayukta system by giving more powers to the ombudsman, also questioned the "inability" of the state Bharatiya Janata Party to follow its own governments in Karnataka and Uttarakhand.
"If Karnataka and Uttarakhand can give more teeth to Lokayukta, why not this state?”
"This means the state BJP disowns its own party models in Uttarakhand and Karnataka," he said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today