Multi-millionaire tea planter set to become Himachal speaker
Dharamsala: Congress leader Brij Behari Lal Butail, a leading tea grower in the Kangra Valley, is all set to become the Himachal Pradesh assembly speaker, party leaders said here Tuesday.
His election to the post is almost certain as the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party has already endorsed his name, Industry Minister Mukesh Agnihotri said.
He said three sets of nomination papers were filed Tuesday by Butail. "One of the nominations was seconded by Leader of Opposition P.K. Dhumal," Agnihotri said.
Assembly secretary Balbir Tegta told reporters that only Butail has filed papers and the election process would be completed Wednesday.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh told reporters here that Butail`s name was finalised by the party by consensus.
Butail, 71, was elected to the assembly for the fifth time from Palampur, the town known for growing tea.
He was first elected to the assembly in 1985 and was re-elected in 1993, 1998, 2003 and 2012.
Butail`s declared assets before the state assembly elections were the highest worth Rs.169 crore, says the NGO National Election Watch.
It says his assets have grown from Rs.91.92 crore in 2007 assembly polls to Rs.169.21 crore in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday