Murder accused takes oath as Himachal legislator
Shimla: Congress legislator Ram Kumar Chaudhary, who faces murder charges, Thursday took oath in the Himachal Pradesh Assembly after being brought from a jail in Haryana.
Chaudhary, sworn in the chamber of Speaker Brij Bihari Lal Butail, has been booked for murder by Haryana Police.
He was brought to Shimla, where a large number of his supporters were assembled, from Ambala jail under heavy security cover.
He is one of four suspects in the murder of a 24-year-old woman in Panchkula in Haryana Nov 22.
"It`s a political conspiracy by my political rivals. I am innocent," Chaudhary told reporters after taking oath.
Asked about his confession, he said: "It`s a police theory. I have full faith in the judiciary. I have never confessed that I committed the crime."
Ruling out the possibility of quitting the house in the wake of the J.S. Verma Committee report that legislators involved in woman-related crime should morally resign, he said he would come out clean.
"I will continue to work as a legislator. Even people are contesting elections from behind the bars," he said. "I have just submitted a list of his priorities as a legislator to the speaker."
After evading arrest, Chaudhary surrendered before a Panchkula court Jan 8, the day other legislators took oath.
Chaudhary is a first-time legislator from Doon in Solan district. He is the son of four-time Congress legislator Lajja Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says