Narendra Modi will have no impact in Himachal Pradesh: Virbhadra Singh
Shimla: Narendra Modi is not a `Rakshash` (demon) who would eat away Congress and media has created his "larger than life" image, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh said on Saturday.
"Personally, I respect Modi. But he would not make any impact in Himachal," Singh said.
Modi had "campaigned twice in Himachal - once as in-charge of Himachal and second time as Chief Minister of Gujarat. Both the times BJP lost the polls", he said.
The Gujarat Chief Minister is "neither a jinn nor a rakshash (demon)" who would eat away Congress, Singh said while addressing a meeting of Congress leaders and workers in Mandi.
Lashing out at former chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, Singh said, "Dhumal has a business mentality and he only cared for his commercial interests," and pointed out that land scams took place during his regime due to this.
Singh said Congress has filed charge sheet in this regard and the cases are being investigated without any political influence.
Congress is 147-year-old party guided by leaders like Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Lal Bahadur Shashtri and Sardar Patel, who had made the country self-sufficient, he said.
At the time of independence the population was 40 crore and even after 8 crore people went to Pakistan, the country faced food shortage, he said, adding that today, the country has 128 crore people, and we are not only self-sufficient but also exporting foodgrains. The credit for this goes to Congress, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!