Nitin Gadkari lashes out at Congress on corruption, silent on charges laid on him
Shimla: A day after getting the backing of the party, BJP chief Nitin Gadkari, who is facing allegations of dubious funding of his companies, Saturday made a scathing attack on the Congress on the issues of corruption, bad governance and unemployment.
Addressing election rallies at Reckong Peo in tribal Kinnaur district and Chopal in interior Shimla, Gadkari said, "Congress ruled the country for the longest time, except for brief period of eight years, and poverty, unemployment, corruption and lack of infrastructure are gifts of the Congress to the people."
The BJP Chief flew into Himachal Pradesh this morning for campaigning for the November 4 Assembly elections, a day after receiving the support of the party leadership in the face of allegations of financial bunglings by shell companies investing in his Purti Group.
BJP had last night set at rest speculation about his continuance in office by expressing its unanimous support and dismissing media reports of his impending resignation as "baseless and untrue".
Attacking the Congress for making promises to remove poverty, Gadkari said that instead of helping people, the ruling party had benefitted big leaders and corporate houses while doing nothing to ameliorate the condition of the poor, checking unemployment and curbing price rise.
Comparing the NDA and the UPA rule, Gadkari said that prices were stable, Rupee was strong and steps were taken to strengthen the basic infrastructure during the NDA regime.
The UPA government has failed on all fronts and did nothing for overall development of the country, he said.
"The farmers are committing suicide, the common man is reeling under rising prices, and unemployment is on the rise but the government has failed miserably to solve these problems," Gadkari added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre