No illegality in acquiring pvt firm shares by family members: Virbhadra
Dharamsala: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Saturday broke his silence on BJP`s allegations on share holdings of his family members in a private firm, and said it "is an attempt to damage my reputation and sully my image".
Making a suo motu statement on the last day of the winter session of the assembly, Singh said, "I am pained by the malicious propaganda and personal attacks involving my family members by the BJP in an attempt to sully and smear my image and reputation."
"I have faced such a campaign earlier also when (Prem Kumar) Dhumal became chief minister twice, and faced trials in sessions court... Since I have done nothing wrong, nobody could harm me," he said, and asserted that no favour had been done to the promoters of Sai Kothi project.
Giving details of his family members` shares in Vakamullah`s company, he said the Tarini Infrastructure Ltd. Company is a public-listed company, and the shares purchased are fully paid up and have been purchased as primary shares.
"...Pratibha Singh (CM`s wife), Aprajita Singh (daughter) and Vikramaditya Singh (son) are above age of eighteen years and Indian citizens, and have complied with requisite rules and regulations... There is no illegality, violation or irregularity, whatsoever," he said.
The Chief Minister said Venture Energy and Technology Ltd (Vakamullah`s company) was allotted the 17-MW Sai Kothi hydro power project in Chamba in 2002 during the BJP regime. The deal was cancelled by his government on the grounds of misrepresentation. It was restored to the company as per a Supreme Court order in 2005.
He said the government has terminated the implementation agreement signed in 2007 with Venture Energy and Technologies Ltd., with effect from November 12, 2013 as it had failed to deposit the outstanding amount of?over Rs 58 lakh and could not obtain clearances in stipulated period.
"When the project has been cancelled, I want to know how a favour has been shown to the company?" he asked.
The BJP was making a hue and cry only because of certain inquiries going against the previous government, he said, adding an attempt is being made to divert public attention by raising these frivolous issues as the investigations into the misdeeds of BJP are gaining momentum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Kejriwal gives one week deadline to discoms to solve outages problem
- French Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray through as Angelique Kerber exits
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1