No licences for new private varsities in Himachal: Virbhadra
Dharamsala: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Monday said the government will not issue licences to new private universities in the state, saying they are "not needed in a small state".
"The Himachal government shall not give any fresh permission to any private university in the state," Singh said.
"It is not needed for a small state", he said, after laying the foundation stone of a secrecy branch of the Himachal Education Board here.
Singh said that a committee has been constituted to find out irregularities in the working or allotment of licences to private universities opened during the BJP regime.
"The government shall deal strictly if anyone is found guilty", he said, adding that the report of the committee is awaited.
The Chief Minister denied any plan to extend Himachal University.
"As a central university is coming up at Dharamsala, there is no need of any extension of the study division of Himachal University in Dharamsala. The government has asked Himachal University to submit a report regarding this," Singh said.
Regarding setting up of the Central University, he said, "as soon as the Ministry of Environment gives a clearance over the land issue, the foundation stone of the Central University shall be laid."
The university was allotted to Himachal in 2007 and its temporary study centre is already functional at Shahpur (35 kms from here), Singh said.
He further said that no new medical or engineering college shall come up in the government sector in Himachal as the government wants to provide all necessary infrastructure to already existing institutes before going in for new ones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah