No licences for new private varsities in Himachal: Virbhadra
Dharamsala: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Monday said the government will not issue licences to new private universities in the state, saying they are "not needed in a small state".
"The Himachal government shall not give any fresh permission to any private university in the state," Singh said.
"It is not needed for a small state", he said, after laying the foundation stone of a secrecy branch of the Himachal Education Board here.
Singh said that a committee has been constituted to find out irregularities in the working or allotment of licences to private universities opened during the BJP regime.
"The government shall deal strictly if anyone is found guilty", he said, adding that the report of the committee is awaited.
The Chief Minister denied any plan to extend Himachal University.
"As a central university is coming up at Dharamsala, there is no need of any extension of the study division of Himachal University in Dharamsala. The government has asked Himachal University to submit a report regarding this," Singh said.
Regarding setting up of the Central University, he said, "as soon as the Ministry of Environment gives a clearance over the land issue, the foundation stone of the Central University shall be laid."
The university was allotted to Himachal in 2007 and its temporary study centre is already functional at Shahpur (35 kms from here), Singh said.
He further said that no new medical or engineering college shall come up in the government sector in Himachal as the government wants to provide all necessary infrastructure to already existing institutes before going in for new ones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt