No Sonia role in revoking Ramdev`s land lease: Virbadhra
Shimla: Denying any role of Congress president Sonia Gandhi in revoking the land lease of yoga guru Baba Ramdev in Himachal Pradesh, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Thursday said it was the state`s decision taken after due deliberation.
"The land lease of Baba Ramdev`s Patanjali Yogpeeth was revoked as there were violations of statutory provisions," he told reporters here.
He clarified that the state took the decision on its own and Gandhi has nothing to do with the land cancellation.
The yoga guru Wednesday slammed Gandhi for forcing the state government to take over the land allotted to him for setting Patanjali Yogpeeth near Sadhupul in Solan district.
At a public rally in Solan town, Baba Ramdev described the chief minister as a decent man, who had invited him in the past and attended his yoga camp.
In response, Virbhadra Singh said: "I had attended his camp when he was a yoga guru. I wanted to promote yoga as it is an ancient method of curing diseases. He is now a political leader. I have nothing to do with him."
The government Friday took possession of 96.5 bighas of land allotted to Patanjali Yogpeeth by the previous Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in 2010. Ramdev`s organisation has constructed an ayurveda hospital-cum-yoga "shivir" hall on the land.
Patanjali Yogpeeth has challenged the government action in the Himachal Pradesh High Court, which has directed the government to maintain status quo on the land.
A division bench of Justice Deepak Gupta and Justice Kuldip Singh, while listing the matter for next hearing April 24, Wednesday restrained the state from demolishing the construction, which has already been raised, or changing the nature or possession of the land until the case is disposed of.
"The matter is now in the court. The government is on strong footing," Virbhadra Singh added.
The land in dispute originally belonged to the erstwhile royal family of Patiala, to which Congress leader and former Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh belongs.
The government said it was donated by Amarinder Singh`s family in 1956 for setting up the Indira Holiday Home for Children.
The land, valued around Rs.35-40 crore, was allotted to the yoga guru for a one-time lease payment of Rs.17 lakh for 99 years at a token annual fee of Re.1.
It`s located mid-way between Kandaghat town and the hill resort of Chail, 50 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday