Pandemonium in HP Assembly, BJP stages walkout
Shimla: BJP members on Wednesday staged a walkout in the Assembly on the demands for immediate discussion on the decision of the Congress government to change the names or close schemes started by the previous regime in the name of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and denotification of colleges opened by it.
When the House assembled, the BJP members, who had disrupted the proceedings on the opening day yesterday, did not press the demand for discussion on phone tapping after Speaker B B L Butail informed that the debate could not be held and quoted the relevant law. They, however, refused to budge on the demands for discussion on changing the names of the schemes and also denotification of colleges established by the former BJP government.
The assurances of the Speaker that the matter was under consideration and they would be provided opportunity to discuss the issues did not have any sobering effect on the BJP members, who continued shouting slogans and insisted that discussion be allowed today itself.
As the Speaker proceeded with the Question Hour and did not heed the protests of the BJP members, they walked out.
Referring to the demand on the phone tapping issue, the Speaker said the Chief Minister in his statement in the House yesterday clearly said the government could not divulge any details as the law prohibited it and as such the discussion on the matter was not valid.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh said phone tapping was a serious offence and the law prohibits disclosure of any information on this issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'