Parents fume over turban curbs in Shimla school
Shimla: Vice President M Hamid Ansari`s alma mater St. Edward`s School has refused to allow Sikh students to wear full-sized turban, parents alleged on Thursday. They were told to wear "patka" or "under-turban" only. The school denied imposing any restrictions.
Parents of some Sikh students approached the local administration on the issue after the school refused to withdraw its March 2 verbal order.
"We have given a number of representations to the school principal since the ban was imposed, but there has been no response so far. The turban is part of the Sikh religious attire... how can a school impose ban on it," a parent said.
He said the students were wearing full-sized turban in the school in the previous years.
"We have given enough time to the school to resolve the issue, but it`s adamant on the ban. The principal is now saying that from the next session the school will allow students of Class 11 and 12 to wear turban," the parents said.
Shimla Deputy Commissioner Onkar Sharma said that a complaint was received from parents.
"We have taken a serious note of it and will take appropriate action, if the school doesn`t sort out the issue on priority," he added.
School principal John Bosco said: "I had only asked a Class 12 student on the first day of the session (March 2) why he was not wearing a `patka` like other boys. I called his parents and the matter ended after I met his parents. I allowed him to wear whatever he wanted."
"Now a non-issue is being made an issue," he added.
St Edward`s School has been a prominent boys` school in Shimla since March 9, 1925, in the Milsington Estate. Brother JC Doheny was its founder principal.
Besides Ansari, the school boasts of alumni like former cricketer Kapil Dev, former Punjab Police chief KPS Gill and union minister and former chief minister Virbhadra Singh.
State Bharatiya Janata Party spokesperson Ganesh Dutt said in a statement that the school decision was unfortunate and it should immediately take back its order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation