‘People`s participation to check black money use’
Shimla: Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi on Monday sought people`s participation in checking use of black money in elections.
In his convocation address at Himachal Pradesh University
here, he said EC’s aim is to hold free and fair elections in a
crime-free environment, sans abuse of money and based on a
perfect electoral rolls with full participation of voters.
He said people should act as watch dogs in checking use
of black money in the polls.
The CEC said that in the past 61 years, EC had
conducted 15 elections to Lok Sabha and over 350 elections to
state assemblies, thereby facilitating a peaceful, orderly and
democratic transfer of power.
Quraishi said the Model Code of Conduct was the
brainchild of politicians to regulate the electoral process in
a fair and democratic manner while the bureaucracy had been
responsible for completion of the elections by maintaining
He said EC would soon come up with a Systematic Voters
Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) wing that rolls
out comprehensive community outreach and multi-media campaigns
to bring all citizens in to electoral participation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- Doha airport brings in passenger tax
- Jason Gillespie to leave Yorkshire at end of season
- Myanmar holds unique position in India's neighbourhood, says PM Narendra Modi
- Bangladesh's Tamim Iqbal out for a month with fractured finger, to miss ODI series vs Afghanistan
- GST will make consumer goods cheaper, boost jobs: CBEC