‘People`s participation to check black money use’
Shimla: Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi on Monday sought people`s participation in checking use of black money in elections.
In his convocation address at Himachal Pradesh University
here, he said EC’s aim is to hold free and fair elections in a
crime-free environment, sans abuse of money and based on a
perfect electoral rolls with full participation of voters.
He said people should act as watch dogs in checking use
of black money in the polls.
The CEC said that in the past 61 years, EC had
conducted 15 elections to Lok Sabha and over 350 elections to
state assemblies, thereby facilitating a peaceful, orderly and
democratic transfer of power.
Quraishi said the Model Code of Conduct was the
brainchild of politicians to regulate the electoral process in
a fair and democratic manner while the bureaucracy had been
responsible for completion of the elections by maintaining
He said EC would soon come up with a Systematic Voters
Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) wing that rolls
out comprehensive community outreach and multi-media campaigns
to bring all citizens in to electoral participation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!