‘People`s participation to check black money use’
Shimla: Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi on Monday sought people`s participation in checking use of black money in elections.
In his convocation address at Himachal Pradesh University
here, he said EC’s aim is to hold free and fair elections in a
crime-free environment, sans abuse of money and based on a
perfect electoral rolls with full participation of voters.
He said people should act as watch dogs in checking use
of black money in the polls.
The CEC said that in the past 61 years, EC had
conducted 15 elections to Lok Sabha and over 350 elections to
state assemblies, thereby facilitating a peaceful, orderly and
democratic transfer of power.
Quraishi said the Model Code of Conduct was the
brainchild of politicians to regulate the electoral process in
a fair and democratic manner while the bureaucracy had been
responsible for completion of the elections by maintaining
He said EC would soon come up with a Systematic Voters
Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) wing that rolls
out comprehensive community outreach and multi-media campaigns
to bring all citizens in to electoral participation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was strangled, body burnt with petrol: Mumbai Police chief