‘People`s participation to check black money use’
Shimla: Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi on Monday sought people`s participation in checking use of black money in elections.
In his convocation address at Himachal Pradesh University
here, he said EC’s aim is to hold free and fair elections in a
crime-free environment, sans abuse of money and based on a
perfect electoral rolls with full participation of voters.
He said people should act as watch dogs in checking use
of black money in the polls.
The CEC said that in the past 61 years, EC had
conducted 15 elections to Lok Sabha and over 350 elections to
state assemblies, thereby facilitating a peaceful, orderly and
democratic transfer of power.
Quraishi said the Model Code of Conduct was the
brainchild of politicians to regulate the electoral process in
a fair and democratic manner while the bureaucracy had been
responsible for completion of the elections by maintaining
He said EC would soon come up with a Systematic Voters
Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) wing that rolls
out comprehensive community outreach and multi-media campaigns
to bring all citizens in to electoral participation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi