Phone-tapping: Himachal HC refuses to grant interim relief to top cop
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh High Court on Friday refused to grant interim relief to senior IPS officer ID Bhandari in a phone tapping case.
A division bench consisting of Justice Sanjay Karol and Justice DC Chaudhary refused to grant stay on a show cause notice issued to Bhandari by the state and he was asked to file a reply to the state government.
Bhandari, a 1982 batch officer of Indian Police Service cadre was shifted from the post of DGP in the wake of phone-tapping controversy and is currently posted as Director General of Home Guards and Fire Services.
He was heading the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) when the phone tapping allegedly took place during the previous BJP government led by PK Dhumal.
A FIR for tapping of over 1,300 telephones was registered on June 26, 2013. But so far no one has been named in the FIR.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh had recently said that the inquiry into the phone tapping case was nearing completion and the charge sheet will be filed soon in the court.
Earlier, the vigilance bureau sent a questionnaire to then Director General of Police DS Manhas.
The total number of phones tapped, mainly of Congress leaders, government functionaries and journalists in violation of the Indian Telegraph Act, was over 1,300, said officials.
Of these, the Home Department had granted permission to tap only 170 phones, they said.
Virbhadra Singh also accused the previous BJP government of tapping his phones and bugging his room and intruding into privacy of individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sandeep Dikshit unhappy with Ajay Maken? Says can't accept a leadership whose objective was to discredit Sheila Dikshit
- Struggles never end in life, says Quantico star Priyanka Chopra
- India vs West Indies: List of records broken by Virat Kohli & Co during thumping win in 1st Test
- 2nd conviction in coal scam: Court convicts RSPL, 3 top officials
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 629—Abhi ends his relationship with Pragya!