PK Dhumal elected leader of Himchal BJP Legislature Party
Shimla: Outgoing chief minister PK Dhumal was on Monday unanimously elected leader of the 26-member BJP legislature party.
Dhumal, whose name was proposed by state BJP chief Satpal Singh Satti and several other members, said "we honour the verdict of the people and would play the role of effective opposition".
The BJP leader said his main objective would be to ensure victory of the party in 2014 Lok Sabha polls and all efforts would be made to strengthen the organisation to take up the challenge.
BJP General Secretary, Thawar Singh Gehlot, who was observer for the meeting, declared Dhumal elected.
Addressing the legislature party members, Gehlot said that the party was confident about coming back to power but it marginally missed the target and now it would play the role of active opposition and raise public issues.
"Our goal is to further activate and strengthen the party and avenge the defeat in coming Lok Sabha and Assembly polls," he said, adding the party would review the causes of defeat and remove shortcomings.
Expressing his gratitude to the MLAs for reposing faith in him by reelecting him as leader of the legislature party, Dhumal said that he and other party leaders campaigned tirelessly throughout the state and the government had creditable record of development but "somehow, the party failed to achieve `mission repeat`".
"We honour the verdict of the people and would play the role of effective opposition and raise all issues of public interest and serve the people with same zeal and vigour," he said.
Gehlot, who is also incharge of state organisational polls, announced appointment of state party general secretary Chander Mohan as returning officer and said that process of organisational elections would be speeded up and state level elections would be completed by early January.
Satti said that 1.75 lakh members have been added this time and "the total membership has crossed 4.75 lakh, which is record".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday