PK Dhumal elected leader of Himchal BJP Legislature Party
Shimla: Outgoing chief minister PK Dhumal was on Monday unanimously elected leader of the 26-member BJP legislature party.
Dhumal, whose name was proposed by state BJP chief Satpal Singh Satti and several other members, said "we honour the verdict of the people and would play the role of effective opposition".
The BJP leader said his main objective would be to ensure victory of the party in 2014 Lok Sabha polls and all efforts would be made to strengthen the organisation to take up the challenge.
BJP General Secretary, Thawar Singh Gehlot, who was observer for the meeting, declared Dhumal elected.
Addressing the legislature party members, Gehlot said that the party was confident about coming back to power but it marginally missed the target and now it would play the role of active opposition and raise public issues.
"Our goal is to further activate and strengthen the party and avenge the defeat in coming Lok Sabha and Assembly polls," he said, adding the party would review the causes of defeat and remove shortcomings.
Expressing his gratitude to the MLAs for reposing faith in him by reelecting him as leader of the legislature party, Dhumal said that he and other party leaders campaigned tirelessly throughout the state and the government had creditable record of development but "somehow, the party failed to achieve `mission repeat`".
"We honour the verdict of the people and would play the role of effective opposition and raise all issues of public interest and serve the people with same zeal and vigour," he said.
Gehlot, who is also incharge of state organisational polls, announced appointment of state party general secretary Chander Mohan as returning officer and said that process of organisational elections would be speeded up and state level elections would be completed by early January.
Satti said that 1.75 lakh members have been added this time and "the total membership has crossed 4.75 lakh, which is record".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'