PM Manmohan Singh addresses rally in Himachal Pradesh, slams BJP
Shimla: After attending the oath-taking ceremony of the new Union Cabinet at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi on Sunday morning, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived in poll-bound Himachal Pradesh to address a rally.
Holding his first election rally in Una town at 2.30 pm, the PM slammed the Bharatiya Janata Party government, saying the saffron party has not done much for the state.
He further said that the Nehru-Gandhi family had a close link with the state and did a lot for it.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said: “In last 8 years whatever development work has taken place here is all due to the financial support provided by the UPA government.
PM was addressing a rally in Himachal Pradesh post the crucial Cabinet revamp today.
“BJP government in HP has not done any development work in last 5 years,” PM said while hitting hard the Opposition.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asserted that if the Congress party is elected again in Himachal Pradesh Congress will do anything to bring Himachal on track.
While hitting out at the Opposition, PM attacked on Virbhadra Singh saying that tainted ministers who are already under scanner for grafts case can never give Himachal a peaceful atmosphere.
Observing that the situation has changed for the worse in state since 1997, he said, "Himachal Pradesh again needs a new direction for development. I believe only Congress can do this.
Congress party both in the state and at the Centre has always worked for the benefit of the people of Himachal Pradesh."
Singh claimed that whatever development took place in the state has been due to the Centre`s efforts.
He pointed out that the hill state lacks resources and the Centre has been trying to chip in to deal with this.
"In the last three years, we have increased the central assistance by 30 per cent. We are also giving special assistance to Himachal Pradesh and in last three years the assistance has gone up from Rs 200 Crore to Rs 900 Crore," Singh added.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video