Police foil immolation bid by Tibetan youth in Dharamsala
Dharamsala: A self-immolation bid by a Tibetan youth was foiled by police in Dharamsala during a march to mark the anniversary of the failed 1959 uprising against Chinese rule.
The Tibetan youth, Dawa Dhondup (30) allegedly drank petrol and also poured it over himself before trying to set himself ablaze during the 54the Tibetan Uprising Day march in Dharamsala, the seat of Tibetan government-in-exile.
However, he was immediately overpowered and stopped by policemen on duty and was rushed to hospital in critical condition, Kangra SP, Balbir Singh Thakur said.
He could not set himself ablaze but his condition was serious as he had consumed petrol, he added.
"Such incident never happened in Dharamsala though Tibetans used to demonstrate several times.
Keeping in view this incident, it shall now be difficult for the police to allow them to hold procession and demonstration," he said.
Every year, Tibetan exiles in India mark the anniversary of the failed March 10, 1959, uprising with speeches and marches.
As many as 107 self-immolations have been reported in Tibetan areas since 2009 and 90 of them have died, with the protesters calling for the return of the Tibetans` spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks