Political parties welcome announcement of poll schedule in HP
Shimla: The ruling BJP and the opposition Congress Wednesday welcomed the announcement of schedule for the Himachal Pradesh assembly election, saying they were fully geared for the upcoming battle.
"We are ready and fully geared for the election. We welcome the announcement of poll schedule," Chief Minister and senior BJP leader Prem Kumar Dhumal said.
Former chief minister and HPCC chief V B Singh also welcomed the announcement of the poll date and said his party was fully ready for the battle.
"We have been demanding imposition of the model code to check misuse of position by the ruling party. Now the code will come into force," he said.
Welcoming the election, BJP Vice President Shanta Kumar said the suspense over the poll date is over and we are fully geared to take on the Congress."
Himachal Lokhit Party spokesman Mohinder Nath Sofat and CPI (M) leader Takinder Singh Panwar also welcomed the announcement.
The BJP has already announced names of 45 candidates for the assembly election.
The Congress too has finalised names of 45 candidates but is yet to release the list.
The assembly election in Himachal Pradesh will take place on November four, the Election Commission announced.
Counting of votes will take place on December 20.
Sixty-eight seats, including 17 reserved for SCs and three for STs, are up for grabs in the state.
The term of the Himachal Pradesh assembly expires on January 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire