Prez condoles death of students in Himachal tragedy
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday condoled death of students, who were washed away in the Beas river in Himachal Pradesh and expressed hope that necessary action is taken to investigate the cause of the accident and ensure that such mistakes do not happen in future.
In his message to Himachal Pradesh Governor Urmila Singh, the President said he was "extremely sad to learn about the accident in which some students from Hyderabad were washed away in the Beas near Thalot in Mandi district."
Mukherjee asked the Governor to ensure that speedy efforts are made by the concerned authorities to rescue remaining survivors.
"Necessary action may please be also taken to investigate the cause of the accident and ensure that such mistakes do not happen in future," the President said and hoped that the state government provides all possible assistance to the bereaved families of the students.
"I pray to the Almighty to give them the strength and courage to bear this irreparable loss. I also pray for the peace of the departed souls," he said.
So far bodies of five Hyderabad-based engineering students have been found, even as search continued for the remaining 19 students.
24 students were washed away last evening in river Beas near Thalot on Manali-Kiratpur Highway, 40 kms from Mandi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read