Prez condoles death of students in Himachal tragedy
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday condoled death of students, who were washed away in the Beas river in Himachal Pradesh and expressed hope that necessary action is taken to investigate the cause of the accident and ensure that such mistakes do not happen in future.
In his message to Himachal Pradesh Governor Urmila Singh, the President said he was "extremely sad to learn about the accident in which some students from Hyderabad were washed away in the Beas near Thalot in Mandi district."
Mukherjee asked the Governor to ensure that speedy efforts are made by the concerned authorities to rescue remaining survivors.
"Necessary action may please be also taken to investigate the cause of the accident and ensure that such mistakes do not happen in future," the President said and hoped that the state government provides all possible assistance to the bereaved families of the students.
"I pray to the Almighty to give them the strength and courage to bear this irreparable loss. I also pray for the peace of the departed souls," he said.
So far bodies of five Hyderabad-based engineering students have been found, even as search continued for the remaining 19 students.
24 students were washed away last evening in river Beas near Thalot on Manali-Kiratpur Highway, 40 kms from Mandi.
- Petrol prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- IPL 2016: Axar Patel's four-wicket haul guides Kings XI Punjab to 23-run win over table-toppers Gujarat Lions
- Diesel prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- A much needed break! PM Modi spends some moments of solitude with a boat ride in Varanasi – Watch
- ISIS makes Indian terrorist its poster boy in new video to lure youth from country