Prez Pranab to get taste of Shimla`s colonial past
Shimla: President Pranab Mukherjee will visit this hill town for one-and-a-half days beginning Thursday. During his stay, he will get a taste of British era heritage.
Mukherjee will stay at The Retreat, the summer holiday resort of the president, on the outskirts of Shimla, an official said.
Constructed in 1850, The Retreat was once the summer residence of the British viceroys when this hill town was the summer capital of British India.
"The president will visit the historic Barnes Court, the Vidhan Sabha, Indian Institute of Advanced Studies and Himachal Pradesh University Friday," the official said.
Barnes Court is where the Simla Agreement between India and Pakistan was inked after the 1971 war. It is now the residence of Governor Urmila Singh, who is hosting a dinner in honour of Mukherjee Thursday.
Constructed in 1832, this elegant building was the residence of former lieutenant governor of Punjab Sir Louis Dane.
During his visit, Mukherjee will address the assembly.
The Council Chamber, the building which houses the state legislative assembly, was inaugurated by Lord Reading, the then viceroy of India, August 27, 1925.
The President will also deliver a lecture at the Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS) that is housed in the century-old Viceregal Lodge.
Built during the viceroyship of Lord Dufferin, the Viceregal Lodge is among the most impressive buildings built by the British here.
"President Pranab Mukherjee will deliver the first Rabindranath Tagore Memorial Lecture and open a study centre-cum-museum dedicated to the life and works of Rabindranath Tagore," said IIAS`s public relations officer A.K. Sharma.
Later, the President will visit Himachal Pradesh University where he will be the chief guest and deliver the convocation address.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?