Protect interests of tribals, panel tells Himachal
Shimla: The National Commission for Scheduled Tribes on Friday took a serious view of acquisition of private lands of people settled in tribal areas for upcoming projects and sought an explanation from the of Himachal Pradesh government on this.
Commission chairman Rameshwar Oraon said that directions have been issued to the Chief Secretary and other officials over violations of rights of the villagers.
"We have received a number of complaints from Kinnaur and Lahaul and Spiti districts and parts of Chamba district regarding discrepancies in giving land compensation to the locals, mainly by the hydro power companies," he said.
"The government is giving land compensation up to Rs 140,000 for one `biswa` land, whereas the private companies are giving between Rs 2,000 and Rs 18,000 for the same land. There is a huge gap...it`s the duty of the state to monitor it and take corrective measures," said Oraon, a tribal leader from Jharkhand.
The commission, currently visiting the hill state, has told the state government that it should protect the interests of those whose land is being acquired.
"It`s the duty of the company executing the project to provide alternate land to the affected villager. No one should be made landless," the chairman said.
Tribal villagers in the hill state have been voicing their opposition to the numerous hydro power projects that they say will further compromise their rights to water and forest resources.
The upcoming projects will not only damage natural resources and affect livelihood but also use up a considerable chunk of forest and agricultural land, argue locals and green activists.
The instances of clashes between local communities and project managements are becoming common in Kinnaur, Shimla, Kullu and Chamba districts. The latest incident took place last month when four functionaries of the state-run Himachal Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (HPPCL) were taken hostage.
The four, who were associated with the Asian Development Bank-funded 130-MW Kashang hydro power project in Kinnaur district, were released only a day later after the HPPCL`s assurance that most demands, including on compensation, would be accepted.
In Kinnaur, the 1,000-MW Karcham-Wangtoo hydro project, 100-MW Tidong, 195-MW Kashang, 402 MW Shongtong-Karchham and 100-MW Shorang are among the major hydro power projects under execution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared