Rain cheers tourists in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: Rain brought down temperatures across the state by three to eight degrees Monday, bringing cheer to tourists who have thronged the hill stations to escape the heat wave in the northern plains.
Shimla recorded a maximum temperature of 24 degrees Celsius, a sharp fall from Sunday`s high of 30.8 degrees. However, the night temperature remained 18 degrees Celsius.
Shimla and nearby areas experienced moderate rain. "Most of the hill destinations saw rain, bringing the temperatures down considerably," a weatherman said.
He said the hills overlooking picturesque tourist resort of Manali saw a mild spell of snow.
"Higher reaches of Kullu, Lahaul-Spiti and Kinnaur districts had fresh snow," the official said.
Kalpa in Kinnaur district recorded a temperature of 18 degrees Celsius, while it was 37.2 degrees Celsius at Una town. The day temperature at Dharamsala stood at 30.6 degrees Celsius.
These towns Sunday saw highs of 26 degrees, 43.5 degrees and 35.2 degrees Celsius, respectively.
"What a relief from the scorching weather," tourist Renu Duggal said in Shimla.
The Met department predicted isolated rain and thundershowers at some places in the state Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption