Rains in Himachal, some respite from sizzling heat in North
New Delhi: Rains and fresh snowfall in Himachal Pradesh on Monday brought mercury down by a few notches in parts of northern India bringing respite to the people from the blistering heat.
There was a slight decrease in day temperature in Delhi with the maximum temperature settling at 42.6 deg C, two degree above normal.
MeT officials, however, said it was a temporary respite following a western disturbance affecting Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
Temperatures may rise again once this subsides, they said.
Heavy showers lashed most parts of Himachal Pradesh today while high-altitude tribal areas received another spell of snowfall, providing the much needed relief to people from the scorching heat.
The mercury, which was running six to eight degrees above normal for the past two weeks, plummeted after rains and thunderstorm, which also extinguished forest fires in the lower and mid-hills.
The maximum temperature in Bhuntar dropped to 23.8 degree from yesterday`s 37.8 degree while Sundernagar recorded 29.4 degree against yesterday`s 39.4 degree.
In the state capital Shimla, heavy rains and thunderstorm led to a sharp fall in the mercury. The temperature dropped to 24.0 from yesterday`s 30.8 degree.
Key tourist destinations of Dharamsala, Palampur, Manali, Kullu, Chail, Kasauli, Chamba and Barog also received rains.
Several areas in Kangra and Una also saw rainfall, bringing cheers to farmers.
In Punjab and Haryana, there was a slight respite from heat wave as maximum temperature dipped by few notches in many places following rainfall.
Rainfall at a few places in the two states brought down the temperature, though dusty weather conditions prevailed.
UT Chandigarh recorded maximum of 39.2 deg C with 0.1 mm of rainfall, Met office said here today.
In Punjab, Ludhiana and Patiala where mercury was over 43 degrees for the last few days, today recorded maximum temperature at 39.9 deg C and 40.1 deg C respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster