Rebels cause worry to BJP, Cong as withdrawal deadline ends
Shimla: BJP and Congress are facing rebel candidates in more than one-and-a-half dozen constituencies after the last date of withdrawal of nominations even as 50 candidates pulled out from contest today.
The Congress was quick to expel five rebels while many more were still in the field including Vijay Jyoti Sen, wife of HPCC chief Virbhadra Singh`s brother-in-law from Kusumpti, Dharamvit Dhami from Manali.
In all 460 candidates are left in the fray for the 68 Assembly seats going to polls on November 4.
Among other Congress rebels in the field are Karnesh Jang from Paonta Sahib, Amar Chand Paul from Arki, Prem Lata from Kullu, sitting MLA Yog Raj from Dehra, former MLA Ishwar Dass from Ani, former MLA O.P. Rattan and Mast Ram from Una in Karsog.
Some prominent BJP rebels include senior party leader and former minister Roop Singh, a six times MLA from Sundernagar and former parliamentary Secretary Chet Ram from Kinnaur.
Suspended Kangra BJP MP Rajan Sushant`s wife Sudha Sushant is in the fray in Fatehpur, Pawan Kajal in Kangra, Tarsem Bharti in Shimla (urban), H.N. Kashyap in Solan, Bhupinder Chauhan in Bhatiyat and Brij lal from Rampur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes