Rebels cause worry to BJP, Cong as withdrawal deadline ends
Shimla: BJP and Congress are facing rebel candidates in more than one-and-a-half dozen constituencies after the last date of withdrawal of nominations even as 50 candidates pulled out from contest today.
The Congress was quick to expel five rebels while many more were still in the field including Vijay Jyoti Sen, wife of HPCC chief Virbhadra Singh`s brother-in-law from Kusumpti, Dharamvit Dhami from Manali.
In all 460 candidates are left in the fray for the 68 Assembly seats going to polls on November 4.
Among other Congress rebels in the field are Karnesh Jang from Paonta Sahib, Amar Chand Paul from Arki, Prem Lata from Kullu, sitting MLA Yog Raj from Dehra, former MLA Ishwar Dass from Ani, former MLA O.P. Rattan and Mast Ram from Una in Karsog.
Some prominent BJP rebels include senior party leader and former minister Roop Singh, a six times MLA from Sundernagar and former parliamentary Secretary Chet Ram from Kinnaur.
Suspended Kangra BJP MP Rajan Sushant`s wife Sudha Sushant is in the fray in Fatehpur, Pawan Kajal in Kangra, Tarsem Bharti in Shimla (urban), H.N. Kashyap in Solan, Bhupinder Chauhan in Bhatiyat and Brij lal from Rampur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users