Rebels cause worry to BJP, Cong as withdrawal deadline ends
Shimla: BJP and Congress are facing rebel candidates in more than one-and-a-half dozen constituencies after the last date of withdrawal of nominations even as 50 candidates pulled out from contest today.
The Congress was quick to expel five rebels while many more were still in the field including Vijay Jyoti Sen, wife of HPCC chief Virbhadra Singh`s brother-in-law from Kusumpti, Dharamvit Dhami from Manali.
In all 460 candidates are left in the fray for the 68 Assembly seats going to polls on November 4.
Among other Congress rebels in the field are Karnesh Jang from Paonta Sahib, Amar Chand Paul from Arki, Prem Lata from Kullu, sitting MLA Yog Raj from Dehra, former MLA Ishwar Dass from Ani, former MLA O.P. Rattan and Mast Ram from Una in Karsog.
Some prominent BJP rebels include senior party leader and former minister Roop Singh, a six times MLA from Sundernagar and former parliamentary Secretary Chet Ram from Kinnaur.
Suspended Kangra BJP MP Rajan Sushant`s wife Sudha Sushant is in the fray in Fatehpur, Pawan Kajal in Kangra, Tarsem Bharti in Shimla (urban), H.N. Kashyap in Solan, Bhupinder Chauhan in Bhatiyat and Brij lal from Rampur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt