Rescue posts set up at Rohtang Pass
Shimla: Two rescue posts were on Saturday set up on either sides of Rohtang Pass to ensure safety of people crossing the 15,050 ft pass, which has been officially closed for vehicular traffic for the winter.
The rescue posts were set up at Mari and Koksar on either side of Rohtang Pass.
The rescue posts have been set up by the Kullu and Lahaul-Spiti district administration and Atal Bihari Vajpayee Mountaineering and Allied Sports Institute, Manali and rescue team will remain alert to meet any exigency, an official said.
Director, Mountaineering and Allied Sports Institute, Capt Randhir Salhuria said that these rescue posts have been set up to help the people crossing Rohtang Pass.
People should cross Rohtang only in clear weather conditions, he said.
Salhuria said that people should register themselves at Marhi while going towards Lahaul-Spiti and at Khoksar while going towards Manali so that rescue team could help the people at the time of any emergency.
The administration has appealed the people to cross the Rohtang Pas crest before 3 pm.
Meanwhile, vehicles are plying between Lahaul and Manali frequently despite the fact that temperature has dipped below freezing point during night at Rohtang Pass.
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has officially closed the Manali-Rohtang Road on November 10 for the vehicular traffic.
Tribal people are crossing Rohtang in compulsion but the tourists are unaware of danger and going towards Rohtang.
"Information board regarding closure of Rohtang road has been set up at various points and hoteliers, guides and tourists have been asked to not to go towards Rohtang Pass," said SDM Manali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon