Ruckus in Himachal Assembly over Congress leader`s arrest
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh Assembly on Friday witnessed a ruckus over the arrest of a loyalist of Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, with the opposition BJP demanding his removal from the chairmanship of a state-run board.
As the house assembled in the morning, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) member Ravinder Ravi inquired about the party`s calling attention notice over the arrest of HP Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board chairman Hardeep Bawa under the Arms Act.
Ravi said it was a serious matter that a chairman of a board was in judicial custody of the Haryana Police for over 48 hours now and the government has not taken any action against him.
He demanded that the government should remove Bawa from the post immediately.
The chief minister, who gave a statement after Question Hour, said the government had still not received any official information from Haryana Police about Bawa.
"We have sought a report from the Haryana Police. We will wait and see," he added.
"It`s an old case. Bawa received summons recently and then surrendered before the first class judicial magistrate in Kalka March 26. He is in judicial custody as per court orders," he said.
Virbhadra Singh said media reports mentioning that Bawa was enjoying the status of a state minister were wrong.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal