Ruling BJP wrests one Himachal seat, loses another
Shimla: In the Himachal Pradesh bypolls for two Assembly seats, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Sunday won one seat that was the stronghold of the opposition Congress, while it lost its seat to the Congress in another.
State election officials told reporters here that the BJP`s Hirday Ram defeated Congress` Vinay Kumar in Renuka (reserved) constituency by over 3,500 votes.
Kumar is the son of the late Prem Singh, who won from this seat on the Congress ticket for six times.
In Nalagarh constituency of Solan district, Congress` Lakhwinder Rana won by over 1,500 votes from his close rival Gurnam Kaur of the BJP.
Kaur is the wife of the late HN Saini, who represented the seat three times.
The by-elections held on November 30 saw over 72 percent votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy