Ruling BJP wrests one Himachal seat, loses another
Shimla: In the Himachal Pradesh bypolls for two Assembly seats, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Sunday won one seat that was the stronghold of the opposition Congress, while it lost its seat to the Congress in another.
State election officials told reporters here that the BJP`s Hirday Ram defeated Congress` Vinay Kumar in Renuka (reserved) constituency by over 3,500 votes.
Kumar is the son of the late Prem Singh, who won from this seat on the Congress ticket for six times.
In Nalagarh constituency of Solan district, Congress` Lakhwinder Rana won by over 1,500 votes from his close rival Gurnam Kaur of the BJP.
Kaur is the wife of the late HN Saini, who represented the seat three times.
The by-elections held on November 30 saw over 72 percent votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan