Ruling BJP wrests one Himachal seat, loses another
Shimla: In the Himachal Pradesh bypolls for two Assembly seats, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Sunday won one seat that was the stronghold of the opposition Congress, while it lost its seat to the Congress in another.
State election officials told reporters here that the BJP`s Hirday Ram defeated Congress` Vinay Kumar in Renuka (reserved) constituency by over 3,500 votes.
Kumar is the son of the late Prem Singh, who won from this seat on the Congress ticket for six times.
In Nalagarh constituency of Solan district, Congress` Lakhwinder Rana won by over 1,500 votes from his close rival Gurnam Kaur of the BJP.
Kaur is the wife of the late HN Saini, who represented the seat three times.
The by-elections held on November 30 saw over 72 percent votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you