Safety aspects of Shimla, Kullu airports enhanced
Shimla: The safety aspects of two Himachal Pradesh airports - at Shimla, a table-top airport located 2,196 metres above sea level, and at Kullu have been enhanced, a report said on Saturday.
This has been done as per recommendations of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).
The government of India had identified 11 airports which posed a safety risk to flight operations in the country. The Shimla and Kullu airports are among them.
"The airport systems, facilities and procedures were thoroughly reviewed by DGCA to enhance the safety of aircraft operations at these airports," the report quoting Civil Aviation Minister Vayalar Ravi`s written reply in the Rajya Sabha Thursday said.
DGCA`s several recommendations -- provision of runway end safety area, ensuring proper markings on the runway and proper maintenance of the basic strip had been implemented, he said.
Officials here said landing at Shimla airport is a challenge as it is one of the three table-top airports in the country.
It is called table-top because of the deep gorges surrounding the runway.
"Though various safety measures have been adopted at Shimla and Kullu airports, the night landing facility should be strengthened for arrival of more aircraft at both places," an airport official said here.
The state government has plans to develop a world-class airport near Shimla to boost the state`s tourism industry.
Director Tourism and Civil Aviation Arun Sharma told a news agency that land for the airport has been identified in Shimla and Solan districts and a final decision is yet to be taken.
Shimla and Kullu airports are connected to Delhi by regular flights. The state`s third airport is located near Dharamsala.
Kingfisher is the only airline that operates smaller aircraft daily on three airports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'