Shimla gets Himachal`s first water-dispensing ATM
Shimla: Now, you can buy drinking water by using an ATM card in this Himachal Pradesh capital, the first in the state and perhaps in the country.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Monday opened the innovative water dispensing system at the Ridge to provide clean water to tourists and locals.
The machine will dispense a litre of water for 50 paise.
"If this pilot project is a success, more water ATMs will be installed in the prominent tourist destinations of the state," Virbhadra Singh said.
Non-profit group Piramal Sarvajal has put up the water vending machine, which can also be operated through prepaid cards.
"The ATM will operate round the clock and water will cost 50 paise per litre," the foundation said.
The group added it is extremely simple to use, as like any usual ATM, the customer swipes a prepaid card and chooses the amount of water he wishes to buy.
Similar machines will be installed at Shimla`s old bus stand and Vikasnagar locality, Dharamsala and Mandi towns and at the famous Hindu shrine of Chintpurni in Una district under the build-operate-maintain-manage basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi